Interested in sharing your skills and knowledge with the next generation of nature enthusiasts?
The YNC is always looking for passionate naturalists, artists, and other volunteers to help us introduce young people and their families to the awesome world outside. If you have something you’d like to share with our club, reach out to our Coordinator and we’ll discuss how to get you involved. Or, check out the list of current volunteer needs below.
Our past volunteers have included: fishermen, scientists, graduate students, park interpreters, museum staff, artists, musicians, parents, grandparents, retired persons, community members, college or university students…etc.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Hike or Field Trip Volunteer
YNC Chapters and their families go out at least once per month to explore a neat natural space in Nova Scotia, and our trips are always more engaging when we have a subject expert join us.
– One-time commitment of an afternoon (2-3 hours)
– Lead a nature walk for one of our Chapters, on any topic related to nature
Examples: lead a bird walk, wildflower walk, walk to look for animal tracks in the snow, sky-watching session to learn about astronomy, teach about a particular animal, teach wildlife photography, lead a nature poetry session, etc…
Every now and then, the YNC will host a topic discussion, movie night, or other indoor event focused on natural history. If you have knowledge or skills to share, we want to hear from you!
– Time commitment of an afternoon (1-2 hrs)
– Share your knowledge of nature in an informal presentation or workshop
– Teach a skill relate to nature
– Lead an activity or game(s) on a topic related to nature
Examples: How to build a nest box or bat box, videography tips for fast moving animals, how to identify birds or mushrooms or flowers, how to use field guides, etc…
The YNC Board of Directors is the governing body of the Young Naturalists Club and functions in an advisory style. It supports and ensures the Club’s mission and philosophies are maintained, provides leadership and oversight of the Club’s activities, oversees financial operations, and ensures bylaws are followed. The Board also develops policies and governance documents (such as strategic plans, volunteer policies, risk management policies, etc…)
– Yearly commitment of a few days/year (attendance at our annual AGM in addition to 2-3 Board meetings/year, commitment to work on 1 project/year (such as a new or updated policy), commitment to volunteer at one event/year (such as the annual Celebration of Nature)
– Fill a Board role, such as Treasurer, Secretary, Parent representative
Besides the above short term volunteer options we also have longer term volunteer options such as:
– Volunteering to be an assistant on a regular basis at Chapter meetings
– Become a YNC Chapter Leader in your community! Contact us for information on how to start up a YNC Chapter
Benefits of Volunteering with the YNC
- Spend time in nature
- Share expertise about nature
- Learn from others about the natural history of Nova Scotia
- Be physically active
- Build lasting relationships
- Expand professional network and develop marketable skills
- Explore natural areas around your community
- Empower and support the development of the next generation of naturalists in your community!
Apply to become a volunteer! Contact the YNC at: email@example.com
or phone the provincial coordinator at (902) 412-2726